Hummingbird 998cSI or Lowrance HDS7 w/ Structure Scan?????

Register for FREE to Use our Offshore Fishing Resources
NC Fishing Reports

Fish Here

July 31, 2014 4:20 pm EDT
Wind Direction: E (80°)
Wind Speed: 16 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.10 in (1019.4 mb)
Air Temperature: 81°F (27.1°C)
Dew Point: 68°F (20.2°C)
Water Temperature: 81°F (27.3°C)

Perrys Emporium
Insure with the Best in the Business
Sportfishing Boats
The Original Balloon Fishing Clip

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charterlakes
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Hummingbird 998cSI or Lowrance HDS7 w/ Structure Scan????? Reply with quote

Really have it narrowed down to these two units based on size and cost. I like features of both. ANyone have any real word experience they can share, publicly or pm? I'm big on ease of use, and upgrade capability. I would love to hear the users report! Thanks!  
MidnightWind
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither one. Go with Garmin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck,
Midnight

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you planning on doing with this new unit?  
charterlakes
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be inshore and nearshore use on my 21 Skimmer, sometimes farther if it's slick - I like that size screen (7-8"), despite my not needing the heavy sounder functions. I hear you, Garmin lovers - no disrespect. I just like the features of these two a bit more.  
pacolentz
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty new to all of this but I have the HDS 7 and love it. But I will be the first to admit I have nothing to compare it to. I really like the features and the way it keeps all my tracks on screen until I decide to delete them. I use it for mostly near shore and it has performed well above my expectations. It is quick to lock on to the satellites and shows the bottom really well even running at 35 kts. I dont have the structure scan, but really wish I did. The screen size is perfect for my 19' CC and I have no problems seeing it even with the sun shining right on it.

Rick
19' Sea Pro CC

Under2
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm been considering the same two brands in the larger models. Gave the Lowrance a good study and looking over but came back to Humminbird, primary because I know their product is not lacking in features, function, or performance, (compared to the other brands) and their support network is second to none.

I fish inshore, nearshore, and (because I'm retired and can pick my days) I fish offshore out to 30 or so miles, when sea and wind conditions allow. My passion is bottom digging offshore reefs, rocks, and wrecks but I'll spend most of my time inshore because I have only a small (21 foot) skiff.

I've been using a Humm 787c2i for about 3 years and have been completely satisfied with this unit. Since I've been involved with the Crystal Coast Chapter of Carolina Skiff Owners, I've had the opportunity to check out (on other member's skiffs) several brands of plotters/fish finders and they all have their strengths and weaknesses... but mostly there isn't a great deal of difference comparing like units. IMO, the Humminbird is the easiest to understand and use (most intuitive) and the well written manual helps considerably. Of the three most popular, (Garmin, Lowrance, & Humminbird) I believe Humminbird holds the edge in the ff (bottom machine) category, and their standard GPS mapping and functions have served me well in in my area. That said, I'll buy an "NVB" model this time to get the included Navionics mapping built into the unit's hard drive, which leaves the card slot or slots open for other uses.

I've seen some pretty decent Humminbird side scan images at depths up to 150 feet so the 60 to 125 foot depths I sometimes fish should present no major problems for me. I also understand these (side scan/structure scan) 'ducers work best while running on smooth water or directly into head or following seas (to keep the transom mounted 'ducer level) and at speeds from 2 to 6 mph... should not be a problem as I don't like to go offshore in seas predicted to be greater then 2 feet... hence, my user name (under2) :D

Well, sorry for the long post, and that I can't answer your questions directly from a "user" standpoint, but I'll be pulling the trigger in the next week or two and will hopefully be scoping out the bridges and channels in and around the MHC/Bft before long.

Good luck and hope whatever you decide, you catch 'em up brotha!

Dave

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the Lowrance.  
Under2
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoughandReady wrote:

Not sure if you're talking to me or the OP, but do you have reason for your suggestion? Not trying to be a smart a$$... just curious.

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under2 wrote:
RoughandReady wrote:

Not sure if you're talking to me or the OP, but do you have reason for your suggestion? Not trying to be a smart a$$... just curious.

was talking to the op, but since you asked, I've talked to a couple of friends that own That lowrance unit and they said it marks as good as there
furuno, nothing against hummingbird as I haven't any knowledge of that unit, just been told some goods things about the HDS7.

Under2
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotcha, thanks Cap’n :tu:

Furuno is a serious piece of equipment. I ran one in the days of Loran-C and spent a couple grand on through-hull ducers to get comparable readings as one of my charter boat buddies. Never quite made it but that wasn’t from lack of effort on my part. I do know Lowrance has some features that I would like to see in Humminbird units, and visa versa. Lowrance and Furuno do have a similar screen color pallet but (and this is just my opinion) I think the similarities don’t go much beyond that - :) Not knocking Lowrance, just that Furuno is in a class by itself and the full package is well above being affordable for me now, or practicable, considering the deck/hull marriage on my little ‘ole skiff, and the water depths to which I am now restricted. Besides all that, side imaging (which is not a new technology at all) is only affordable now from two marine electronic manufacturers that I know of. Damn, I’m sounding like a commercial now so I’ll shut up and crawl back to my corner lol

If anyone really wants to know why I think Humminbird deserves close consideration, in comparison to other comparably priced units, I guess they can shoot me a PM or email. I have no personal or financial relationship with any marine electronics company or it’s representatives.

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember putting paper in my X-15
and praying it would work. wink
The good old Days lol

SailFishQuepos
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Hummingbird stinks Reply with quote

I spent the money on the hummingbird, and now I have a Furuno.
www.QueposFishAdventure.com

Lhowell
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowrance HDS7 is what we have on our boat and it works good but Lowrance customer service sucks well atleast it did last summer when I was trying to figure out how to work the thing... Compared to my buddies Garmin 545s I would choose the Lowrance HDS7 but I have never really learned how to operate the Garmin as good as I have the HDS so Im sure that could make a difference.. Garmin, LowranceHDS or Furuno I dont think you can go wrong with any of them...  
fishtration
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowrance and hummingbird might be ok if you are putting them on a BASS BOAT a good friend of mine has the HDS 5&7 on his boat and I dont think they would make good targets at the range. There junk buy a real unit Furuno our a Garmin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: