October 30, 2014 5:50 pm EDT
Wind Direction: NE (40°)
Wind Speed: 17 knots
Wind Gust: 19 knots
Significant Wave Height: 4 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 5 sec
Average Period: 4.1 sec
Mean Wave Direction: NE (56°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.91 in (1012.9 mb)
Pressure Tendency: -0.01 in (-0.4 mb)
Air Temperature: 66°F (19.0°C)
Dew Point: 56°F (13.4°C)
Water Temperature: 74°F (23.2°C)

Offshore Fishing Tackle
Skirts for REEL Men
Dredges and Teasers Light Up the Rip
Scopolamine Gel and Capsules

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grilling by the coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevehes
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Grilling by the coast Reply with quote

my strategy in the past has been to buy a cheap grill (~$150) and get a couple of years out of it before corrosion eats away the grate, handle, whatever. Then get a new one as either parts are not available or it's not much more $ to replace rather than repair.

This time I've been looking at the mucho expensive Webers ($400-500 range for something like I have) or a stainless model from Charbroil or similar cheaper brand. Anyone have feedback on how any of these these hold up? Are they worth the money?

It's fall, grills are starting to go on sale good, so time to get something.

Contender 25 200HPDIs
Contender 23 - SOLD

SlimJim1
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I have one of those cheaper stainless in Raleigh and 3 years max before the burners rust out. My wife bought me an Egg that is heavy as lead and made of ceramic but it is charcoal. It could never rust and the vents are stainless and cast iron chimney. Best thing I have ever cooked on. If you go gass get bronze burners and stainless or ceramic grate I have a friend with one that he has had for 5 years on CB and besides some screws rusting I can't tell its been at the beach. Good luck!!!!

hawk1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with A Hollan.

218 DLV Carloina Skiff

SEAHORSE
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and stick to the $150.00 grill. I had a stainless and the salt air will quickly make you aware of the poor quality grade of stainless steel they use.The other thing is the burners rot away even if the exterior does last longer. I am sure this will open a can of worms with loyal customers but for my money Webber is not the same company they used to be and have lowered their quality standards to the point where they are not a bit better than the $150.00 grills and your just paying for their name. Green egg is a lot of money but you wont be buying to many and they are amazing.

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Holland for 10 years, and loved it....get it in the stainless version, and you'll surely have a grill that will last a long time. I messed up and bought a stainless Charbroil Red this time around, and wished within the first month that I had spent the extra money and got the stainless Holland. It cooks great, but like was said....it's very cheap stainless, and I'm already seeing a little rust...even with a cover. I have a buddy that has a Holland that's over 20 years old. Every 5 or 6 years, he has to buy a few screws or something small, and one time even had to buy the drip pan for about 60.00.....but it's still cooking strong. As the old saying goes "buy it right, buy it once" Good luck!

twoturnin
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save up your money and buy a WILMINGTON grill---absolutely the best -- high quality stainless --grill made IMHO. Bought mine about 6 years ago from Stewart Hardware in Southport. No magnet sticks to this one . This is one big bang for your grilling buck for years to come.

1999 24 Albie-16 Tracker-12 jonboat-17 Mohawk

BarnacleBill
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stainless Flat Rock Grill here in Boone. I've had it for about 10 years and love it. It is very similar to the Wilmington grill. I also bought a stainless Charbroil grill about 5 years ago for the beach and it's still working great.

If I were going to buy a new gas grill I would probably go with something like the Wilmington grill but if you want to go with charcoal you cannot beat the Japanese Kamado type ceramic cookers. They are heavy but they cook like nothing else.

donald
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooked on a non-stainless Holland for about ten years before moving down to Southport, lasted two more years and rusted away. It was as good as One could ask for but it did not like the salt air.
Bought a Wilmington Grill from Stewart's Hardware in Southport and it is as good as the Holland but made out of high quality stainless.
Did fine until I changed gas bottles,(must have been trash on the tank orfice) then the right burner would go out if You turned it down below high.
Told Mr Stewart about it and He gave Me a name and phone number and promised to fix it if They did not.
Called Wilmington Grille and Floyd Knowles came to the house, listened to My problem, replaced the valve and the burner, tested the grille, told Me some "secret receipes" and left with a "sorry You had a problem" even though it was My fault.
Good people and a fine grille

BILLFISHIN
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilmington Grill will last decades but they are high dollar.  
willin
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had a wilmington grill since 95, i live right on the water, i just replaced the original burners last week, thats a pretty good testimony about the quality of the grill. i'm pretty sure the grill will now outlast me. a lot of bucks up front but looking back now it seems to be a bargain.  
speckhunter80
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If going gas go with a Wilmington Grill. Minimal amount of effort it will last 10-12 years without trouble. Yes they are expensive but go with some other brand and you will buy 3 if not 4 before you would start having troubles out of your Wilmington Grill.

Parker
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilm Grill all the way! I've had mine for 5yrs and am VERY happy! I got mine at cost and would pay retail if I had to do it again!

stevehes
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input everyone.

I saw those Wilmington grills at a booth at the state fair. They looked very well made and from the feedback here they sound like the way to go for a grill living in the salt air.
But not having over $1000 in the grill budget for this year I guess I'll go with another Lowes cheapo grill in a box which should last me long enough to have funds for a Wilmington.

Cheers everyone!

Contender 25 200HPDIs
Contender 23 - SOLD

Bert07
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Jenn Air Reply with quote

Steve, at least look at a Jenn Air. SS and a lifetinme warramty on the burners, etc. I have had one for about 7 yrs. and replaced burners twice at no cost and grill is in great shape!! Good Luck!!  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: