July 31, 2014 10:50 pm EDT
Wind Direction: E (90°)
Wind Speed: 17 knots
Wind Gust: 21 knots
Significant Wave Height: 4 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 5 sec
Average Period: 4.4 sec
Mean Wave Direction: E (100°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.11 in (1019.5 mb)
Pressure Tendency: +0.00 in (+0.0 mb)
Air Temperature: 81°F (27.1°C)
Dew Point: 71°F (21.6°C)
Water Temperature: 81°F (27.2°C)

Offshore Fishing Tackle
Coastal Dating
Insure with the Best in the Business
Atlantic Beach Bait and Tackle

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shrimp Pounds (Traps w Leads)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojohalibut
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Shrimp Pounds (Traps w Leads) Reply with quote

When I brought my shrimp trap gear to the attention of DMF back in 2000 or so, it was recieved with a less than positive response from NCDMF. In 2005 I did a research study with NC Sea Grant to determine the effectiveness of the gear. Please do a search for Shrimp Trap and North Carolina Sea Grant for the particulars.

This gear should be regulated but how? Who should be allowed to set this gear rec or comm or both and where? How big of a set? How far between sets? How far between a commercial set and a rec set?

DMF is very reluctant to issue commercial pound permits and unregulated rec sets are everywhere. This is a problem that must be addressed.

How do you divide a resource between user groups? Did I mention zero by-catch and no small shrimp just edible marketable shrimp in excellent condition? Let the games begin.

DonHarvey
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Shrimp Pounds (Traps w Leads) Reply with quote

mojohalibut wrote:
When I brought my shrimp trap gear to the attention of DMF back in 2000 or so, it was recieved with a less than positive response from NCDMF. In 2005 I did a research study with NC Sea Grant to determine the effectiveness of the gear. Please do a search for Shrimp Trap and North Carolina Sea Grant for the particulars.

This gear should be regulated but how? Who should be allowed to set this gear rec or comm or both and where? How big of a set? How far between sets? How far between a commercial set and a rec set?

DMF is very reluctant to issue commercial pound permits and unregulated rec sets are everywhere. This is a problem that must be addressed.

How do you divide a resource between user groups? Did I mention zero by-catch and no small shrimp just edible marketable shrimp in excellent condition? Let the games begin.

Nobody wants to do a search for something that you can post here on
your own. you have a bunch of questions that only you know the answers
to. Thanks, Don

Whompachomp
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was what I was thinking...I tried to search, and then I gave up, only because I would like to have one of those traps. 8O  
Back-Lash
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to get a shrimp trap , sure beats having to buy shrimp all of the time

www.facebook.com/CarolinaKingfish.

weekend-hooker
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo, you posted traps for sale some time back and never responded to my comments or Pm's ... What's up with that?
Post some pics and tell us a story! Hell sale me a trap .... I got my comm. License .... Help a brother catch a skrimp

shane1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the traps are easily found on the net with many different varieties and for sale was looking at them about 2 months ago ill see if i can find the link and post it for ya im having shoulder surgery in a couple weeks so no net for me anytime soon was lookin into the traps dont know the laws ill call my friend john hes a mpo so he should know damn i thought i was gong to be sick and start something lol

shane1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres one i was lookin at but you can get them from cabelas and amazon.com too www.aquatictraps.com

mojohalibut
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, here is the link with the story
http://www.ncseagrant.org/home/coastwatch/coastwatch-articles?task=showArticle&id=488

mojohalibut
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bring everyone up to speed, this gear consists of a trap much like a minnow trap with a funnel that allows the shrimp to enter the trap but not escape. The shrimp find their way to the trap by way of two leads that spread out in a V shape.

Don, in the study we tried different distances between sets with the commercial being 1000 feet apart rec being 60 feet. The commercial size was 60 feet in width and the rec set 12 feet in width. In each run there were a total of three sets in place.

What has happened since the study is what I hope to try and resolve here.

Currently there are only a few permited users of the commercial size gear and use of the rec size (traps with 5/8" wire mesh and leads not longer than 10') basically unenforced.

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a guy in sneads ferry that makes them.  
CaptHorace
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently there are only a few permited users of the commercial size gear and use of the rec size (traps with 5/8" wire mesh and leads not longer than 10') basically unenforced.

Rec is not enforced or not legal?

barefootfishing
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was in the article....

Limited experience with this type of shrimping forced DMF to halt use of the traps — both commercial and recreational — until further studies could be done to assess the impact of the gear.
.yea, let's "study" it some more. (this is just my opinion )
Yes we need to study things to be sure, but, we are in a "viscious cycle" of STUDY.

Typical response from DMF. Got their "marching orders" from MFC to put the brakes on something new that could interupt the "business as usual" system

I have talked to Kenny several times about it , and had plans at one time to film a night of fishing. I had a conflict in my schedule , and did not follow up on it, but have a message out to him now.
Kenny is a good guy with a good (ORIGINAL) idea. I wish him well.

ecsports
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.I spoke with our local MPO and here is what he said

#1 if u want to use a rec shrimp trap you must have a RCGL and attach a pink buoy with sinking rope.

#2 you can use a wing if it is less than 10' (I cannot remember the mesh size)

#3 if using one commercially you must get a permit.

My opinion is that it is ridiculous that you can drag a trawl and kill tons of by-catch as well as destroy the bottom with a $36.00 license but not use an eco friendly method of harvesting without a lot (and I mean allot) of headache and red tape. Ban trawls and allow only channel nets, pots and butterfly nets. Make it easy to get permits.

We sell shrimp pots at East Coast. We have large commercial pots for $219.00 (made locally) and smaller pots for $59.99 (Made in China).
www.northcarolinasaltwaterfishingreport.com

JIMBOB
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this! NCDMF will not issue new pound net permits due to the "Possibility" you may catch a sea turtle. They basically stopped commercial gill netting inside, so a lot of permits for pound nets got filed and all but two got turned down. To get a permit also takes a while you need to put two poles in the water to mark the ends, let it sit 30 days for the public to see and comment then the NCDMF can turn you down or it could go to a public meeting. But I agree it is long past time to do away with trawls inside(and I own Three).  
weekend-hooker
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecsports: whats the creel of a pot compaired to a trawl...in terms of shrimp. There are many many variations of traps out there....but mojo had the mojo .....like to see it!  
mojohalibut
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for some pictures of the gear set in place and will post them when I find them.

The last I heard, rec traps have to be made from no less than 5/8" bar/ 1 1/4" stretch - meaning the grid on the mesh is 5/8" apart center to center or if stretched diagonally 1 1/4" center of knot to center of knot. I have found that if you use mesh that is only 1/2" wide you keep too many small shrimp. With the 5/8 the smallest that stay in are in the mid 50 count, with 1/2 you get into the 70's.

Rec leads can be no longer than 10'. The sets must be marked with a pink buoy and be attended at all times. ATTENDANCE is one of the biggest problem. When shrimp are left in the trap you start catching everything - grouper, spots, crabs etc...... Every year I see more and more unattended rec gear that is nothing more than a killing machine.

barefootfishing
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same as ECS... why not allow folks to use gear such as this and fly nets along the edge in the waterway (with little or no by-catch) and "bottom friendly".
Makes no sense to me to hold back good ideas like this with a better ROI (fuel, effort,wear and tear on your motor, etc...) and less impact on the bottom.
Then again MFC never claimed to be intereted in protecting the small operation fisherman or the resource, their primary interest is the fleet of big Pamlico Sound draggers.

Don't create a better mouse trap that is more cost effective, or brings a better quality shrimp to the market place from the small operation shrimper. Let's study this a few years, hopefully this "inventor" will have gone out of business and we won't have to deal with him then. That is the mentallity of our current MFC, who gives marching orders to our current DMF

At least one (more like 3) of the commisioners of the MFC has a vested interest in this big otterdoor style Pamlico Sound shrimping.
Let's take a minute to think about our current system overall... Is it really working for the citizens and small operation comm fisherman, or is it biased towards the large scale operation that is "fish house freindly" only ???
Take the striper fiasco, this is a perfect example of what I am talking about
This has been going on for several years now with NO ACTION from MFC, because it would put a hick-up in the "business as usual" .

Just speaking for myself, I think it's time we start discussing "life after" our current MFC/, who will run it, and what it will look like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: