Pre-rigged ballyhoo/Islander lures
NC Fishing Reports

Fish Here

September 2, 2014 6:20 am EDT
Wind Direction: W (260°)
Wind Speed: 10 knots
Wind Gust: 14 knots
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.08 in (1018.7 mb)
Air Temperature: 82°F (27.5°C)
Dew Point: 77°F (25.1°C)
Water Temperature: 82°F (27.7°C)

Onslow Bay Boatworks
Web Hosting with Local Support
Coastal Dating
The Original Balloon Fishing Clip

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timbo
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Pre-rigged ballyhoo/Islander lures Reply with quote

I have some small and large Islander lures I use in the stream when I get a chance to run out there and also the small ones I use offshore some. Currently they are rigged with 150# mono.
Question: Instead of rigging the hooks through the ballyhoo, etc. can I not save some effort and buy the pre-rigged bally with the wire/double hooks and simply snip the wire, slide a islander lure (or other) down the wire and re-tie the wire and boom I'm off to the races??

calebw15
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't buy pre rigged ballyhoo. 1. Pre rigged ballyhoo are alot more expensive per dozen 2. I can rig a ballyhoo just as good if not better than any pre rigged ballyhoo (for half the cost) 3. Fishing just wouldn't be the same if I didn't spend all the time to get my lures and rigs ready, it just wouldn't feel right if I did not spend an hour rigging my ballyhoo the night before.  
Pappacannon
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: wire Reply with quote

I dont like fishing wire that much. I have caught some pig wahoo, kings, cudas, tuna and mahi on mono. Alot of fish seems to be leader shy like tunas and sails, and I like sticking with the mono or flouro.  
Fishfindertoo
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We buy ours pre-rigged and do the same thing. You may catch more on mono but you'll still catch plenty using wire.

1970 Formula - Fishfindertoo
Cory Norville

rlpsystems
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got an idea. I get off on selecting hoos from the freezer, thawing, and brining. Then comes the fun part... Eyeball poppin, doo doo squeezin, selecting right size hook and feedin it through gill plate to determined spot in belly. Wire wrappin and bill breakin. Too much fun to let someone else do it. But, with your idea you may have more time to eat sleep and maybe fish... :D  
calebw15
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlpsystems wrote:
Sounds like you got an idea. I get off on selecting hoos from the freezer, thawing, and brining. Then comes the fun part... Eyeball poppin, doo doo squeezin, selecting right size hook and feedin it through gill plate to determined spot in belly. Wire wrappin and bill breakin. Too much fun to let someone else do it.

My thoughts exactly....

Timbo
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get to fish much and I am usually running down on Friday night to fish Saturday morning. I did try it a few months ago in the stream and picked up a wahoo and a few weeks ago picked up a king. Both on my "shotgun" rod. Just wanted to make sure I was not hurting my chances too terribly.
Thanks

capt_ed
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timbo,

We have used the double hook wire rigs from Baitmaster and had great luck using them just like you said. I like to make my rigs and mess with the Ballyhoo like the other guys posted; but I hate making rigs with wire and I am no good at making a double hook rig. So I buy some from Baitmasters every year, snip the end off and run any color or type of lure I feel is working. By the way, the double hook wire rigs seem to work naked really great when the water is clear and you are getting short strikes.

Everyone catches Wahoo and Kings on mono sometime, but I like a little insurance. I make most of my rigs with the hook connected to as short a length of stranded wire as possible and crimp on a swivel. This rig will be about 2 inches from the eye of the hook to the swivel. Now I can rig the Ballyhoo on the hook, then use any lure I want by slipping the skirt on the leader and tieing to the rigged Ballyhoo. This also allows me to use different leader length, color, and weight when I feel the need. Most of my reels are pretied with about 50 feet of leader at the start of the season, so I don't change too often. Last time I trolled the fish were being picky, so I tied a 30# florocarbon leader on to my 50 feet of 90# leader and all worked well.

Good luck!

Timbo
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good idea also.
Thanks!!

JKil1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to use pre-rigged wire ballyhoo and slide the skirts or lures over them. Now i make all my rigs, i feel more confident w/ mono and saves ALOT of $$. Wire worked fine and caught fish. One thing i'd be carefull of when doing this. Any lure w/ a small hole that you have to slide onto the wire (my particular experience was with a Illander Sailure) dont pinch the wire too much to get the lure to fit over it. This weakens the wire and we lost a nice wahoo at the boat when the pinched wire loop broke at the snap swivel.

SkirttChaser
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allong JK's line of thought you can prerigg your own and what I have done is make the loop on the end of your wire or 7strand as small as possible I then drill out the heads of a seawitch so the heads will slide over the loop. You have to be carefull not to make the hole too big or it win seperate the head from the skirt. Practice on some old ones first. Just thinking ouside the box a little, it also makes you be able to change out colors of bait with out having to have so many riggs.

Kelsea
Mate
Mate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will use the pre-rigged/ wire down low, but swim it
first to eliminate any spinning. Try a hula hood.
On the surface I prefer to rig my own on mono or
floro, with trackers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: