September 2, 2014 1:50 am EDT
Wind Direction: WSW (240°)
Wind Speed: 12 knots
Wind Gust: 16 knots
Significant Wave Height: 3 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 8 sec
Average Period: 4.2 sec
Mean Wave Direction: ESE (111°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.09 in (1019.0 mb)
Pressure Tendency: +0.00 in (+0.0 mb)
Air Temperature: 82°F (27.7°C)
Dew Point: 77°F (25.0°C)
Water Temperature: 82°F (27.7°C)

The Original Balloon Fishing Clip
Quit Fishing - Start Catching
Pleasure Island Insurance
Custom Made Big Game Tackle

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trolling for Flounder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugs
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Trolling for Flounder Reply with quote

Ok I know there's are more than one way to skin a cat, so can you guy's give me some tips on trolling for flounder. Watched people doing it saw them all doing it different , speed, holding rod in hand, putting rod in holder, some used small minnows some used large, saw some set the hook hard when they got a bite and some let the fish hook themselves. So I want to know your setup and why? :)
Saltwater is an addiction I dont want to quit!!!

eknight
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sized up Carolina Rig. At least a 3 oz egg and 24" or so leader behind it. I prefer a 3-0 offset bend hook or larger with live finger mullet or cigars. Go really slow. I let the bail free and kick it in neutral when I feel a strike, count to 20 and set that sucker. You will either have a large ray or a large flounder on (if you have my kind of "luck" it will be a ray). FYI there are certain piers from CB to WB that are rebuilt from hurricanes--troll around where the ends used to be on a calm day. Rocks work well also, or you can go to some nearshore ledges. Folks do it around the Bay Bridge Tunnel on the Chesapeake all the time.

Good Luck! (the flounder kind, not mine)

MarlinManiac
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned two different methods of trolling for flounder over the years up in Virginia. The first is the old wireline method, used to fish structure like a bridge like eknight mentioned. We used to use wireline back in the 70's because of it's small diameter, of course braid serves the same purpose now. The smaller the line, the lighter the sinker needed to hold bottom. The rig was a three way swivel with a 3' dropper to a heavy sinker and a 15' leader to a bucktail with a bait. You fish this upcurrent from the bridge and troll along the bridge keeping the sinker off the pilings but allowing the bucktail to sweep along them. Very effective for flounder, stripers and trout holding tight to the pilings, but requires excellent boat handling skills, especially in heavy current. You have to kind of crab your boat sideways going into the current to stay off the pilings while still maintaining forward progress along the bridge. The second method was called backtrolling, because it was frequently done by small boats in reverse. Once you locate an edge, hump or other structure holding fish, you would put your boat in reverse to maintain your position over the structure or to move slightly upcurrent. This does two things. First, it keeps your bait in the strike zone over the structure longer, and second it gives your bait more action and life, causing more strikes. I've also caught flounder as bycatch while trolling big plugs like a Stretch 25 for stripers, so bigger is better on the bait size. Get one close to the bottom and you get suprised sometimes. You now know everything I know about trolling for flounder. I'm sure there are other methods as well. Hope it helps.

Oyster toads fear me!

twoturnin
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockwood Folly River above Varnum have seen a jonboat slow trolling with a stick sinker. About a 24 inch leader tied above the sinker. He usually has four/six rods out. Trolls right down middle of river channel-very successful from what Ive seen of him.

1999 24 Albie-16 Tracker-12 jonboat-17 Mohawk

Tugs
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
Saltwater is an addiction I dont want to quit!!!

Catchem
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Thread....

My Great Uncle..> Joe Baroody invented/ coined trolling for flounder down in Cherry Grove, SC back in the 50's.... (in the creeks and inlets)

His trick was to troll against the current very slow... just making headway... (keeping your weight bumping the bottom... to fast = no bottom bumping) Using a rig similar to a drop shot but with a 2 ft leader 2ft up from the weight... (back in the day he used 1-2oz teardrop weights...)

Live bait of course; however... a fresh dead and limber bait works and "swims" suprisingly well going against the current...

Good Luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: