September 20, 2014 4:50 am EDT
Wind Direction: NE (40°)
Wind Speed: 23 knots
Wind Gust: 27 knots
Significant Wave Height: 6 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 6 sec
Average Period: 4.9 sec
Mean Wave Direction: ENE (70°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.07 in (1018.4 mb)
Pressure Tendency: -0.05 in (-1.7 mb)
Air Temperature: 76°F (24.4°C)
Dew Point: 70°F (21.0°C)
Water Temperature: 83°F (28.1°C)

HOME OF THE ORIGINAL BATHYMETRIC/HARDBOTTOM MAP
Free Towing - Free Soft Ungroundings
Less Fishing, More Catching
Onslow Bay Boatworks

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V-hull vs Cat hull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanslayer
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: V-hull vs Cat hull Reply with quote

I was just curious as to what everyones opinions were on the advantages/disadvantages of a Cat style hull. the only cat boat iv rode in was a 23' Procat CC. it was a neat and fairly wide boat for its length. Whats yalls 2 cents...  
RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like cats. Too many flip over.
I like a V hull with some flat in the stern.

ice cream man
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoughandReady wrote:
I don't like cats. Too many flip over.
I like a V hull with some flat in the stern.

Say what!..... I own a Twin Vee 22 Awesome CC & it's a great fishing platform.

Capt. Joe & OceanSlayer anytime you want to go out for a test ride let me know......... ICM

4reellife
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my V hull because it is paid for
www.emeraldislecharterboats.com
Emerald Isle N.C
919-306-5651

MidnightWind
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been on a cat boat where I feltl like I had a real boat under me.
I'll take a v-hull anyday.

Capt_John
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to run a 33' Worldcat in some really nasty weather and on a daily basis when I lived in the Caribbean. Wasn't really impressed and the boat would not turn if you needed to quickly. I prefer V hulls.
www.topsailfishingcharters.com

"ALCOHOL,TOBACCO,AND FIREARMS should be a convienience store, not a Gov. agency."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bodie
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a v hull guy also.
Although the cats have some nice qualities. To each his own. I have fished on a 33 worldcat and it flexed and i didnt like it.
But cats are suppose to not pound as much, but i just dont like the way they look.

BeeReel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not ridden on enough cats to know, but I do like the "floorplan" of the cats I have seen. Also like the easy twin motor setup on smaller boats. ICM, looks like a sweet rig. I love the dive ladder too.  
seaark17
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cats draft more water on plain than sitting still or something like that? You don't see many cats compared to V hull boats.  
zigzag
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never rode a cat but I prefer v hulls , I've never heard of a v hull having the structural problems that some cats do.  
captainmark
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://engage.advancedpublishing.com/t?r=40&c=16351&l=1328&ctl=4B3D5:CD070D1B31D8859EA3CB4D88364CF99749CA475AD5540ABF&

Check those out! Sure would like to try the 40 footer with the new seven engines. I had a 21' Seacat with twin honda 90's, a great head sea boat and fishing platform. Twin Vees like Billy's are stable drift fishing, economical to run and make for a great boat to own. Sea Tow and Tow Boat US use the 32's for their seakeeping abilities. My favorite hull is the original Ray Hunt deep vee. The Grady 33 is one along with Surfhunters and Harriors built by C. Ray Hunt. I've sea trialed them - best I've ever been on.

Timorjc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seacats were pure displacement hulls and didn't perform. The 21 with twin 90s does 19mph at WOT.

The Twin Vees have water intrusion issues in the hulls. There are atleast 8 cases that I am aware of, 3 locally.

The World Cats don't turn and 'sneeze" water in your face in rough seas. There are several that have had massive hull cracks and the company has changed hands so many times there is virtually no factory support.

The Freemans are actually good boats. The 33 is impressive, but W A Y over priced. For that money I can buy a 32ft YF with twin F300's and put $80K in fuel in it. The company owner is a flake though and I wouldn't put much trust in and future factory support.

The GW Tigercat was so bad the factory bought most of them back and dropped factory support of it.

Every boat is imperfect, but after riding on many cats I think I will take a moderate deadrise CC of the same size any day. The ride is better is a small close chop, but when it really gets nasty the monohull is the boat of choice, for me atleast.

Tim

captainmark
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, thanks for your comments, but I have had a different experience. My Seacat did 28 mph at 5000 rpm, and if it got rough, you didn't need to slow down. It performed wonderfully, for me at least and made for a good nearshore striper boat for which it was used. It had radar, auto pilot, windless, and she held her value well when I sold her. I sea trialed the first 33' World Cat made. Since it didn't have a bunk, I couldn't use it. I also toured their factory in Tarborro and was very impressed with the facility. Everything there was first rate. I know of a Sea Cat 25, a friend owns that had water intrusion issues, the bilge thru hull was placed too low on the hull and water entered under way. Dumb design. Water enters the hull on most boats in rough seas under the rub rails, the bilge pumps keep up, so most people aren't aware of it. It would be interesting to see what the Twin Vee water intrusion issue is. I'm no expert, but they certainly can't be unique.
I currently own a 34' Yellowfin and they build a quality boat. The owner, Wylie, has personally answered any questions I have had.<g> Every boat is a trade off, as you know, and you shoot for the best you can do for what you can afford. Now is a great time for getting a high quality used boat. Repos are flooding the market along with the economic downturn and prices are the lowest I've ever seen. My best advice would be stick with the best brand name.

oceanslayer
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainmark wrote:
Every boat is a trade off, as you know, and you shoot for the best you can do for what you can afford.

very true, Id love a 32' yellowfin over just about all vhulls but i doubt ill ever be able to afford one(i woldnt mind a gently used Onslow bay or regulator, prob closer to my $ range). Supprisingly the 23' seacat i rode on had twin 175 zukes and did almost 50 mph... but there boat is in the shop alot, not sure what for though.

Timorjc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oceanslayer wrote:
captainmark wrote:
Every boat is a trade off, as you know, and you shoot for the best you can do for what you can afford.

Supprisingly the 23' seacat i rode on had twin 175 zukes and did almost 50 mph... but there boat is in the shop alot, not sure what for though.

This is nearly double the USCG HP rating of the hull on the 23ft SC. According to the USCG data the hull is rated for a max of 230hp Single (not possible) or twins of max combined 260hp. Weight not to exceed 880lbs. Twin 175 Zukes weight 485lbs each or 970lbs and 350 HP. Not a safe or insurable set-up IMO.

oceanslayer
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timorjc wrote:
oceanslayer wrote:
captainmark wrote:

Supprisingly the 23' seacat i rode on had twin 175 zukes and did almost 50 mph... but there boat is in the shop alot, not sure what for though.

This is nearly double the USCG HP rating of the hull on the 23ft SC. According to the USCG data the hull is rated for a max of 230hp Single (not possible) or twins of max combined 260hp. Weight not to exceed 880lbs. Twin 175 Zukes weight 485lbs each or 970lbs and 350 HP. Not a safe or insurable set-up IMO.

I didnt know all that, it might have been a 25' SeaCat then... not really sure only rode on it once but it definitely felt like it was goin a little faster than it should have.

oceanslayer
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just realized its a procat not seacat... i miss spoke

oceanslayer
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a pic of my buddys  
captainmark
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Seacats go from 21' to 25'. I have seen the Onslow bay 23' with twin 300's, but I think it is really a 26'. I forgot to mention that power catamarans have been known to trip in a quartering sea.
The hull I like best is the Ray Hunt design Deep Vee. They are on the Surfhunters, Harriors, and many other boats including the 33' Grady White and original Bertram Moppie. I sea trialed the 25' Surfhunter in Gov'ts Cut in Miami in 2-4's and it was better than most 30' plus boats. Best hull I've been on. When you get to the larger sportfishes, a flatter transom is desireable for fuel economy, lift, and stability.

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oceanslayer wrote:
captainmark wrote:

very true, Id love a 32' yellowfin over just about all vhulls but i doubt ill ever be able to afford one(i woldnt mind a gently used Onslow bay or regulator, prob closer to my $ range). Supprisingly the 23' seacat i rode on had twin 175 zukes and did almost 50 mph... but there boat is in the shop alot, not sure what for though.

On this site "Gmanning" has a 31 Cape Horn also "big Dawg" had one.
They seem to be reasonable in cost & offer a solid good ride .
I've seen a few on the local market at A good price.

captainmark
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a 31' Cape Horn, and it is now his "forever" boat. Less "standard equipment", but less stuff to break or go wrong. It is foam filled as opposed to a Yellowfin that is hollow core. The ride is great and no steps, but a very solid boat to own. I was going to buy one until I got a deal on my Yellowfin.

Timorjc
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough storage on the 31CH for me, but the hull is built like a tank and rides as good or better than any boat in its class. Just saw a loaded 2006 with new F300's and Furuno NN2's for $70K obo the other day. If I had the coin it would be in my yard right now. 65MPH WOT and near 2NMPG at a 36kt cruise.

tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: