October 21, 2014 3:50 am EDT
Wind Direction: WNW (290°)
Wind Speed: 16 knots
Wind Gust: 19 knots
Significant Wave Height: 3 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 4 sec
Average Period: 3.9 sec
Mean Wave Direction: SSE (152°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.91 in (1012.9 mb)
Pressure Tendency: -0.04 in (-1.5 mb)
Air Temperature: 72°F (22.2°C)
Dew Point: 60°F (15.3°C)
Water Temperature: 76°F (24.5°C)

Web Hosting with Local Support
Stormwater BMP Services
Offshore Fishing Tackle
Atlantic Beach Bait and Tackle

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trebles on Mirrolures
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Trebles on Mirrolures Reply with quote

What size trebles do you put on Mirrolures for the ones that swap them out? I hear it gives the lures better action but havent tried it.  
speckhunter80
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it does is lessen the likelihood that the trout with its "weak" mouth will be able to torque the hook and tear it out of it's mouth. I use the same hooks that are on it if they are in good shape, if not then the same size. The secret is not putting too big of a split ring on it so that the hooks don't become entangled.

Last edited by speckhunter80 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks speck, I knew this info was on one of these boards but couldn't find. Do you happen to know the size number of split ring your using?  
ecsports
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller hooks give the mirrolure more action. Here is a video that might help you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU4XcOYo7dDA1aBrTMW-Xbeg&feature=player_detailpage&v=fEe5jx6FRRU

It may seem i made this just for you but I made it w little while back. lol
www.northcarolinasaltwaterfishingreport.com

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, I remembered it and looked all over for it before posting. Thanks for the help. Very informative.  
speckhunter80
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drumchaser73 wrote:
Thanks speck, I knew this info was on one of these boards but couldn't find. Do you happen to know the size number of split ring your using?

Sorry but I don't.

mudder
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil I have put #4 VMC on mine and in the past have used the #4 Eagle Claw just as Chris has in the vid and they will definitely outfish the factory #2 that mirrorlure puts on them. Some will say no way, but it has already been proven to me.

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mudder my vmc's on my king rigs rusted out fairly quick even after rinsing with fresh.  
lookingup
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any input on the Eagle Claw red hooks instead? I have found them to be very productive.  
mudder
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, don't understand why mine have lasted all season with only a little rust but they don't sit long before being dragged through the sand.

MidnightWind
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookingup wrote:
Any input on the Eagle Claw red hooks instead? I have found them to be very productive.

Don't know squat about mirrowlures, but I use the red Eagle Claw circle hooks for flounder. Have found them to be strong, resist rust, and stay sharp.

Good Luck

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know mudder, may be bad batch?
Thanks John, gonna give the ec's a shot.

lookingup
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Capt. Midnight, I have switched my hand tied king rigs, and # 52 mirror lures to the red trebles and have either been real lucky or the red works better. I change my 52 electric chicken last year and landed bigger trout, a stout 9 lber., and drum than any year before. As a 5 year old once told me last year, your not holding your mouth right! Of course he had the red hooks and I had the factory hooks! He caught 6 nice ones, me 13 incher! This year I have been looking for the # 4 in red but haven't seen any as of yet. Any thoughts?  
mudder
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red hooks( Eagle Claw) are very good guys I have seen some trout bites in the past where the red hooks made the difference, that's trout fishing for ya.

gottafly
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is my 2 cents.
I do use the Eagle Claws for replacement but I do like the nickle plated and 4X strong
52M I use #2 and on some will drop down the # 4s to slow the sink down. A standard 52M has better action than a TT52M and the TT will sink slower than the standard 52M, I find this to be a big advantage for me in still water fishing. Also use the Catch 2000 is a #2 replacement hook.

The 17, 18s and Catch Jr 2000 I still use the eagle claw hooks and replace with 4X strong #6 hooks. Use a #4 for the 28Mr.

As for your split ring, use the smallest you can get away with. The more you change weight on a MirrOlure, the more you change the action, sometimes, not for the better.

As for the red hooks, I like them a lot but have not found a bulk price on them. I will add a red hook either the head or the tail but leave it off the middle, just me.
Capt Lee Parsons
Its all about the kids

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Capt Lee. Your the mirrolure King. I meant to ask you this on your site. Let's hit the bays soon.  
gottafly
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drumchaser73 wrote:
Thanks for your advice Capt Lee. Your the mirrolure King. I meant to ask you this on your site. Let's hit the bays soon.

Would love to, give ma a call :)
Capt Lee Parsons
Its all about the kids

speckhunter80
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Lee. I know you are a Mirrolure Master.

eyefish
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not here to question any bodies opinion, But was wondering how you come to the assumption the a TT series has a slower sink rate than a 52 series Mirrolure? They both weight 1/2 oz, both bodies come out of the same mold at the factory. The line attachment eye is in the same place. and on the back of the package it states that the siink rate is approx 1Ft./ second. Maybe I got that backwards the 52 is slower, I've heard it both ways. :?

BTW, I use either Eagle Claw L934BPT #4 3x strong black nickle or EC red trebles again in size #4 don't know the model number but sold under Penn P-130-4

mist
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyefish wrote:
I'm not here to question any bodies opinion, But was wondering how you come to the assumption the a TT series has a slower sink rate than a 52 series Mirrolure? They both weight 1/2 oz, both bodies come out of the same mold at the factory. The line attachment eye is in the same place. and on the back of the package it states that the siink rate is approx 1Ft./ second. Maybe I got that backwards the 52 is slower, I've heard it both ways. :?

BTW, I use either Eagle Claw L934BPT #4 3x strong black nickle or EC red trebles again in size #4 don't know the model number but sold under Penn P-130-4

...I LOVE tt's simply cause they be FATTER and I have always believed they sank faster.....compare the 2 side by side and U will see a FATTER tt.....Long time ago the TT's were called heavier on the box they came in.....

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mist wrote:
eyefish wrote:

...I LOVE tt's simply cause they be FATTER and I have always believed they sank faster.....compare the 2 side by side and U will see a FATTER tt.....Long time ago the TT's were called heavier on the box they came in.....

Definitely not the same size.

eyefish
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you can teach an old Dog new tricks. I went and measured with a micrometer and You are correct the TT is .075 fatter. i guess i shouldn"t question the Mirrolure master. :oops:  
mist
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyefish wrote:
I guess you can teach an old Dog new tricks. I went and measured with a micrometer and You are correct the TT is .075 fatter. i guess i shouldn"t question the Mirrolure master. :oops:

...I was on Wrightsville Bch about Midnite about a month ago and this subject came up out there in the dark....3 of us....told the boys the TT was fatter....they didn't believe it...BUT...Held up in the old" Hat Lite" it was Clearly seen......
The original question was ..WHY are U throwing a TT Purple Demon.....I told them I wished there was a TT Nite-stalker.....

gottafly
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyefish wrote:

They got it eyefish, the TT is a wider profile than the standard 52 (and do NOT come out of the same Mold) which makes it sink slower in still water, the big thing here is still water. The wider sides on the TT also makes it have less action then the 52. If you are going to troll MirrOlures, troll the 52, not the TT. Just for note, in still water I perfer the TT over the standard 52s.
Capt Lee Parsons
Its all about the kids

eyefish
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that now, and have admitted my mistake. :oops: But in my defense I was misinformed by the guy at L&S tackle while ordering some custom color combinations, awhile back. Now I know, and it's another tool I can put into my bag of tricks  
drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyefish wrote:
I see that now, and have admitted my mistake. :oops: But in my defense I was misinformed by the guy at L&S tackle while ordering some custom color combinations, awhile back. Now I know, and it's another tool I can put into my bag of tricks

Show you can order custom made with different color combinations from L&S?

ecsports
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can but I think you have to order 6 dozen. We have done it a few times.
www.northcarolinasaltwaterfishingreport.com

Pennyd
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,
In still water do you really prefer the TT over a MR14 or MR17?

gottafly
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pennyd wrote:
Lee,
In still water do you really prefer the TT over a MR14 or MR17?

Not sure you understood what I was trying to get across it my above post. What I was saying is in the 52Ms, (and only 52Ms) I will use the TT in still water.

Now as what I throw and prefer, that depends on the bait. Mullets, it is the 52Ms, bunker, it is the 17s. I love the size of the 14s but they sink faster than the 17s due to their size. I really like a bait that suspends and the Catch 2000 and the MR17s are the king here.

Another over looked bait in the colder and deeper water is the 38, Sinks at the same rate of the 52Ms but a smaller profile. I like this when the bait gets smaller. When the mud minnows are showing, move to a #4M, use the same colors you would normally use for the water conditions.
Capt Lee Parsons
Its all about the kids

Pennyd
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, After going to Mirrolure Scholl a couple of years ago I can say that my trout catching has improved greatly. I mainly fish still water and my bait of choice is the MR14. I'll try some of the other suggestions because I know the fish are still there but mu catch rate has dropped significantly since the water got cooler. Thanks for all your inout- keep it up.

What about stripers in the Cape Fear- Mirrolures of choice??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: