Shark fishing from Shore
Shark fishing from Shore
NC Fishing Reports

Fish Here

July 30, 2014 6:20 pm EDT
Wind Direction: ENE (70°)
Wind Speed: 14 knots
Wind Gust: 17 knots
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.03 in (1016.8 mb)
Air Temperature: 79°F (26.1°C)
Dew Point: 69°F (20.7°C)
Water Temperature: 81°F (27.4°C)

IT Consulting to businesses
Outfit Your Lifestyle
Sportfishing Boats
Coastal Dating

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shark fishing from Shore
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> NC Surf Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Shark fishing from Shore Reply with quote

Greetings FPT, I plan on going shark fishing from the shores of either CB or WB.

I have a CRFL, I'm just unsure of the legality of fishing big game fish from public beaches. I also don't want to be a nuisance on the beach so I plan on fishing late afternoon into the night on a Sunday. I have the proper gear to land and release the fish as well. I can't find anything about what I'd like to do on the NC WRC website.

I'm from Raleigh & somewhat familiar with the areas of WB & CB. Looking at the maps I was thinking of setting up shop on the public beaches south of the CB pier. Otherwise, I may go out on to a pier but kayak out my bait a bit further.

Any rules & regulations about kayaking from the beach?
If I do go the pier route I would stay xxx feet away from the pier while kayaking but I don't have much experience kayaking outside of the intracoastal. I wouldn't go out if the seas look mean

What size sharks can I expect? I have a 9/0 w/ ~1000 yds of braid/mono and will be using beeliner carcasses on a 9' cable w/ 12/0 hook. I plan on dropping the bait between the sand bars ~200-400 yds out. I'll likely drop off a few carcasses as well.

My gf also has a license and is coming with. Are there any other species I can target from the beach? I have a variety of poles, just not another one for big shark. Are there smaller(perhaps more bountiful?) sharks I can use a smaller bait to catch? Otherwise, I've never really fished from the beach. I can imagine we get drum, mackerel & bluefish but am not sure how to target them. I imagine I'd catch something on a bottom rig w/ squid/shrimp

Thanks

straps57
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no shark fishing allowed at wrightsville beach. As for CB use common sense. If there are 1000 people swimming don't try to catch sharks or it will be banned there as well. Swimmers will always be a higher priority to the people in charge than shark fishermen. Fish at night and you can avoid the crowds. There are no problems launching a kayak from the beach. You can catch sharks up to around 10ft. Mostly you will catch blacktips but you can also catch lemons, sand tigers, tigers, hammerheads, sandbars, bonnett head and I'm sure there are a couple of others I forgot. You can catch sharks within casting distance of shore. Good luck.  
mark-b
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shark fishing from Shore Reply with quote

porcha wrote:
Greetings FPT, I plan on going shark fishing from the shores of either CB or WB.

My gf also has a license and is coming with. Are there any other species I can target from the beach? I have a variety of poles, just not another one for big shark. Are there smaller(perhaps more bountiful?) sharks I can use a smaller bait to catch? Otherwise, I've never really fished from the beach. I can imagine we get drum, mackerel & bluefish but am not sure how to target them. I imagine I'd catch something on a bottom rig w/ squid/shrimp. Thanks

Some other species that can be caught from the beach that you didn't mention include whiting, croaker, pompano, black drum & flounder. They're all bottom feeders & can be caught on shrimp, but whiting, pompano & black drum also really like sand fleas which you can dig up in the surf zone. Flounder especially like live fish like mud minnows, finger mullet & small pinfish w/ their dorsal fins cut off. Make sure you get a fishing regulations sheet (either online or @ a tackle shop) & know how to identify each type of fish you may catch. Also, rinse your gear off really well when you're done fishing as the salt will corrode about any type of metal used in rods, reels, etc. I live near the north end of CB & will be glad to help out if you want.

NCSurfer
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark---do you catch sand fleas at CB? I don't see many around here, at least not like north or here around AB. I have never had any luck finding them.  
mark-b
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do, but mostly @ or near low tide- especially as the waves recede.  
NCSurfer
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using a rake or can you see them running with the waves?  
mark-b
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both, but a rake sure does make it quicker & easier!  
porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Do I need to take further steps to protect my line?

I imagine the sand and water will beat up my line if I let it soak for a few hours. I'll do my best never to let the reel touch sand.

How can I tell when I am between sandbars?

I want to drop my bait between the sand bars. I'm not sure how far out to go -- I plan on fishing from just south of the CB pier. I imagine the water will be choppier over the bars and a bit slacker between them. It will be getting dark so I probably won't be able to see the color difference. If you're saying they're within casting distance I'm thinking around 100 yds is where I would see the first break?

Looks like I'll have plenty of other options to keep entertained while I'm waiting for the big dog. So far I'm going to try n dig up some of these sand flies or just use cut bait and a bottom rig w/ 1/0 circles for whatever is hungry. Appreciate all the help, my biggest fear now is not feeling comfortable out in the kayak & having a big shark spool me

goldeneyes
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually, there is only one bar visible on our local beaches, except for times of high seas. typically, bch is dry sand - 1st slew- bar - open ocean. slew can range from a tiny ditch to a football field & they continuously change. Sharks from 10" to 10' can be routinely caught, hammers to 14'. 6' - 7' is about max size most people can handle from the sand, safely/efficiently.

There is absolutely no need to float any bait out off our beaches for BIG sharks, the fish come in close. a 500lb shark can hug the bottom in chest deep water never being seen, a 7 footer can easily push through 1'. These can be caught inside the inlets/rivers also. If you want to deploy the yak, Best bet is the parking lot at the fort, bch clears out at night, plenty of space.

What you gonna do with it once hooked? Have you got ALL the "little" details in place for a safe/successful fight/release? double check your list, good that you have one.

South of the pier, what you gonna do when she runs north? I've been busted off by piers & we started the fight, 2 miles from them.

The last thing you need to do is kayak from the bch @ night if your not 100% confident in the day - ALL YOUR DEMONS WILL FIND YOU<PLAGUE>and possible consume you in the cover of night. you'll get beat up loose your equipment, be demoralized & you have also entered the food chain with fresh b-liner guts floating around ya!

Brief story, back in the day, before yaks were seen in the pond, i used to paddle baits out on a board, had a milk crate strapped to the back to hold the tuna/king heads & bricks for weight. usually deployed 2 baits at a time, one behind bar, next 100 or so yds down bch & 200 or so out. dropped 1 st bait, dropped second came back, close to bch i could hear the clikkers going! 9' dusky on the long bait & an unstoppable on the close bait....
That was my last deployment in that style, both them were under me as I paddled and dropped...
I've also had a 7 footer eaten out of my hand as I released her in knee/thigh water.....just something to think about....cheers

at wb, just play it cool, not to visible, tourist trump fishermen

porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great write up, your board sounds like my yak with the milkcrate

i was going to strip it down to take my bait out though, good to know i don't have to go 150+ yds out, i'll look to drop right after the first bar if i can see it, else i suppose as long as there is chum in the water and a hungry shark, he will find it

so far i've got a rope, bolt cutter, towels, youtube video training lol, strong girlfriend, surely not everything but i feel confident enough to do it. I definitely won't go out at night with my lack of experience, I plan on setting up ~6pm giving me a few hours to practice kayaking in the surf unless fish are biting.

2 miles of fighting sounds intense, i was hoping when i hit 800+ yds of mono/braid out I could put the brakes on and turn the fish but I've never caught anything larger than a 300# off the bottom

as far as my bait, i won't have access to nice heads unless my sister lands something big. I'll likely snapper/grunt, possibly grouper/jack/cobia. Was thinking I'd gut a few and butterfly them, then drop a mess of scraps from cleaning the rest of the fish as chum

can i fish for shark from the CB state park? do the beaches close at night?

mark-b
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop by the CB charter boat marina on your way out if you want fresh bait. We usually get back to the docks from full day trips around 5-6pm & clean fish after that. You can pick the carcasses you want out of the pile yourself or most of us mates will do it for you for a few bucks.
The north end (Freeman Park) is open 24/7, but not the state park or state beach @ the south end- those both close @ dark. You can also shark fish from the beach near both piers @ night.

mark-b
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you plan shark fishing from the shore this year & need rods/reels to do so, let me know. I have three Penn Senator 9/0 which are perfect for that & a lot of rods that can go w/ them.  
porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

such a benevolent host, thanks for the info Mark. My sister & I are coming down to CB tomorrow(Thursday 5/24) we should arrive btwn 4-5, probably will fish for pins/blues in the harbor til we can get some scraps from the boats -- great idea -- now I'm just hoping its not raining too bad  
porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

such a benevolent host, thanks for the info Mark. My sister & I are coming down to CB tomorrow(Thursday 5/24) we should arrive btwn 4-5, probably will fish for pins/blues in the harbor til we can get some scraps from the boats -- great idea -- now I'm just hoping its not raining too bad  
mark-b
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be working a 1/2 day Spanish mackerel/bluefish charter in the morning & should be back to the dock around 12-12:30. I know of 1 other boat going on a 1/2 day trip too, but not sure if any others are going on full day trips or not. Won't do you any harm to stop by when you get here.  
porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got some great bait from the Sea Witch...caught a bunch of pinfish while we waited around & got great help from a nice gentleman waiting for his son to return from inshore fishing

it was pretty rough to my estimate, got beat up and definitely learned a lot. Talked to a good amount of people and ended up fishing off the pier for whatever was biting. Ended up with a foul-hooked small blacktip that ate a live pinfish

I plan on doing it again if the seas aren't too rough

DaveV
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porcha wrote:
we got some great bait from the Sea Witch...caught a bunch of pinfish while we waited around & got great help from a nice gentleman waiting for his son to return from inshore fishing

it was pretty rough to my estimate, got beat up and definitely learned a lot. Talked to a good amount of people and ended up fishing off the pier for whatever was biting. Ended up with a foul-hooked small blacktip that ate a live pinfish

I plan on doing it again if the seas aren't too rough

if you will be around Sunday night, i might be interested in stopping by the North End and showing you a couple tips.

Do you have a harness? They make a world of difference too, but dont use one unless you have someone else with you to cut the line if he starts to drag you around :)

I was actually talking to a buddy today about doing this one night this summer.

I dont know how 'big' i would plan to see out there, but i would like to get a hammerhead of any size. never got one before.

DaveV
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah... MARK! PM!  
porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll definitely go again this summer. Pick a night and i'll do my best to make it. I wouldn't ever kayak out alone. I also need to develop a way to affix the bait and weight to the yak while I'm trying to launch(and an easy way to then release it once I reach my spot). I had a 12/0 hook and a BFT tuna head 2" from the goods while I paddled out. This is where I had the majority of my problems. I'd wade out to waist deep water and wait for a break in the waves. The first time I made it out, the next few times I got blasted and would drop my rig  
porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going out again Sunday night, July 1st, WB this time(so long as there is nobody swimming, may have to move)

Made some changes this time.

- Going to wrap my leader and hook with electrical tape.
- Added 175 yds of 80# braid
- Better homemade mousetrap weight

Gonna get one this time

straps57
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porcha wrote:
going out again Sunday night, July 1st, WB this time(so long as there is nobody swimming, may have to move)

Made some changes this time.

- Going to wrap my leader and hook with electrical tape.
- Added 175 yds of 80# braid
- Better homemade mousetrap weight

Gonna get one this time

Shark fishing in not allowed at Wrightsville Beach. In my experience electrical tape makes no difference. If you are using king weights to hold your bait just hook one or two of the legs around the bungee's or straps in the back of the kayak and throw the bait back there as well when you are paddling out. Your hooks are a little on the small side but should work. I use 16/0-20/0 circles. They work much better than J-hooks. Good luck.

No person fishing from a pier or the shore within the town limits shall bait or cause to be used any bait which attracts sharks of any type to the shores or piers. This section shall not prevent regular and normal fishing now done on piers and shores of the town, except to the extent it affects the baiting and luring of sharks to the waters of the town.

('72 Code, § 14-12) Penalty, see § 92.99

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/North%20Carolina/wright/townofwrightsvillebeachnorthcarolinacode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:wrightsvillebeach_nc

DaveV
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would stick to Carolina Beach. If you wanted, you could go over to Masonboro Island, and not worry about the people.

Like i said before, if im available, i would be happy to spend a few hours with you and show you some of my methods.

Ill have to check with the wife to see if im allowed to play that night :)

We can put the yak in my boat, use the depth finder to find some spots and work it from there.

Keep me posted, and ill keep you posted.

POSTED!

porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info...will move to CB. I had planned to fish for pinfish around the Winner fleet docks then fish for blues/sheepshead. Hopefully catch some bait before noon.

Thanks for the offer Dave. I'd be glad for some help. Last time the surf was pretty rough around 6-7pm, is there a better time to launch? How do you propose we yak from the boat and get the bait to shore? May have a friend with me as well

posted

DaveV
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets watch the weather, and see what we can do.

if it works out, i would say we meet at Snow's Cut after dinner and load the boat.
We can tie the yak on the bow of the boat, and stow everything else in the cabin.

We can throw some shrimp on the bottom to pick up a few bait fish.

Once we have some bait, we can work our way out the inlet and find some ledges/ sand bars. From there, we can either drop lines and head back towards shore in the boat, or the yak... or we can use the handheld and you can paddle out in the yak to drop the bait.

Then its just a waiting game.

I will try to get to the tackle shop this week to make a few rigs for you, and see if you like them.

If the weather sucks, or i cant make it, i can at least meet you somewhere and talk about the technique and give you the rigs.

Catchem1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do if I were you...

First thing: Get "GOOD BAIT"...
stop in a Motts Channel Seafood in Wrightsville Beach and go to town on their gut bucket!... I would grab a couple grouper Heads and Carcasses... cant go wrong there! Its free.. (this is how I load up my crab pots)
:)

Now for location:
You are "somewhat mobile" with your Yack... which will put you in the right zone.

Park at the south end of Wrightsville Beach (by gazebo) and walk to the south "point" with your yack and paddle your gear across Masonboro Inlet with all your gear... Stage your gear by the south jetty. (don’t forget to feed the parking meters during the daylight hours)

Paddle back and grab your girl... paddle back..

Set up "Camp" near the south jetty and fish in the surf 40 yards or so off the jetty.

You could camp out if you wanted as well... pretty sketchy paddling across Masonboro Inlet in the Dark (I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!) and if you do be sure to put Nav Lights on your yack (battery powered avail at any marine supply shop). Also: I would strongly recommend life vests while traversing the inlet.

As usual put your other surf rigs out while waiting for Jawz... Lots of fun little fish to fill the cooler.

Now: HOLD ON!

Just my 2c

Best of Luck

Capt. Trev

porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^yikes, I don't think I'm confident enough to venture across the inlet yet, although I've never personally seen it so I can't gauge for sure. But at this time, I'll pass, especially in the dark. I am just not well enough equipped. I'd love to camp out, would be the ideal setup. I think I'll need a bigger kayak for all my gear, I'm already pushing it's max load with just my body.

I'm no surf angler. I've got a surf rod n reel but never fished seriously with it. Caught a few small sharks with cut bait at dusk a few years back. I assume a 3-4oz triangle weighted single or double chicken rig with a 1-3/0 hook(s) and some cut bait or pinfish should catch a bluefish or smaller shark. I've never caught a red drum, pompano or saltwater striper.

I'm game for whatever really, as long as I'm fishing

thanks guys

DaveV
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill keep watch of the weather/ conditions to decide if the boat is a feasible option. But right now, it might be a CB pier (right side) trip.

IN THE MEANTIME... i was going to make up some of my famous (i dont think ive ever shown them to anyone) shark rigs, but i went and priced out the materials today.... it would cost almost $50 in parts, and i just dont do this enough anymore to justify it.

So... ill make a couple out of some scrap stuff laying around. Dont worry, they will be fine, just not the super duper ultra rigs i was gonna make.

I want this to be YOUR trip, so i am going to give you the options to use my rigs or your own. Ill show you some spots and hang out, but yer gonna do the work when you get hooked up.

I would suggest stopping by a head boat/ charter and grabbing a 5gal bucket for as many heads as you can get.

Get BIG hooks. the biggest you can afford. Mustad 10/0 or bigger wont hurt.
If you want me to make you a few rigs for future use, get some 49 strand, 150#+ wire, some crimps, some heavy swivels/ dc's, some shrink wrap/ heat shrink, and I would get some 6 and some 8oz sinkers.
Im going to try to get you into about 20+ feet of water if we can find a good spot.

if you want to be really fancy, we can get some ballons too.

Now, i havent shore fished for sharks here in CB, so im hoping the ******* ways coax the southern sharks.
I spoke with some folks today, and they say we may be lucky to catch 150+, but it has been done. I would be happy to see you get hooked up on something that at least makes you walk a half mile :)

Oh yeah... what rod/ reel setup are you bringing?
Ill bring the harness, a couple rigs, and a rod setup for myself. Probably a 6/0 or 9/0 senator and a nice STIFF rod.
If you hook up hard, you can don the harness.

Its all up to the conditions at this point.

porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm bringing a 6/0 senator w/ 550 yds of 80-50lb braid/mono. The drag is in really good condition. I also have a 9/0 that I could put 800+ yds of line on but the drag isn't as heavy at full when I compare them side by side.

The rod is some custom blank Key Largo 802 F? 7' very stiff, plenty of backbone. Also have an 8' ugly stick but not as stiff

My dad got both rod and 6/0 reel for $80 at an auction in Daytona. He's pretty good at finding great deals and is an avid collector. I'm in charge of the fishable saltwater collection lol.

So it sounds like we're going to drop the bait in from the boat and then yak it in to shore? I'm going to noodle the hell out of my rod. I do plan on stopping by the charters in the PM to catch fresh pinfish and try to get some heads. I believe the Sea Witch II or Fish Witch?? was kind enough to provide us with 2 BFT heads.

And if the weather is bad, its still going to be a fun trip

DaveV
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we may drop the first bait from the boat since we will be out there, but i plan on pulling the boat close to shore, if not right up on the beach depending on the conditions.

After that, the baits will need to be brought out on the kayak.

do you have nav lights for it? you will not be in the channel, but off the beach a hundred + yards.

I have a float coat and light beacon i might bring as well.

and i have a secret tool.... green glow sticks. go ahead and laugh.

porcha
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no nav lights, I hadn't planned on yaking out at all at night. I've only taken this kayak out in the surf once and on a pretty rough day.

can glow sticks count as nav lights? I know it gets DARK out on the beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> NC Surf Fishing All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: