April 18, 2014 3:50 pm EDT
Wind Direction: NE (40°)
Wind Speed: 21 knots
Wind Gust: 23 knots
Significant Wave Height: 7 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 10 sec
Average Period: 5.5 sec
Mean Wave Direction: E (84°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 30.24 in (1023.9 mb)
Pressure Tendency: -0.09 in (-3.2 mb)
Air Temperature: 58°F (14.4°C)
Dew Point: 53°F (11.8°C)
Water Temperature: 62°F (16.5°C)

Electric Fishing Reels
Perrys Emporium
Perrys Emporium
Full Service Fishing Tackle Dealer Serving Wilmington NC

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

camping
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: camping Reply with quote

Wife wants to go camping at the coast....since we're DOD and it's much cheaper.....would ya'll go to Camp Lejuene or Fort Fisher??

We've never been to either so I thought I'd ask the experts.

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never been to Camp L but FF offers a lot of beach to fish. Does Camp L have access to drive in the beach? Good luck in wherever you choose.  
blueoceaneyez
I-Mapper
I-Mapper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about Camp Lejeune...
Fort Fisher is nice (i guess u r talking about camping at the Mil Rec Area)...location is great, easy to ocean & river, they have a pool last i saw, place to eat on the River, kayaks to rent, pier to fish & crab from... cool getaway to me! Some nights the sunsets from their pier are amazing!

ReelSharp
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say the FF area is a better place for fishing as well. There are also a few more things to do with the family. I'm sure where you go, you will have a good time.

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies......somebody here ALWAYS knows something about whatever the subject may be....what a wealth of knowledge we have here!

So it looks to me like Fort Fisher it is. Although, the wife has heard that you can always find sharks teeth at camp Lejuene, and that was her number 1 reason for wanting to go there. She has about 9 million sea shells.....but has never found a sharks tooth. Maybe she'll get lucky at Fisher.

ReelSharp
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find some teeth at FF at times. A friend of mine makes really cool jewelry with the items found at FF. There is an island 5 minutes by car from the Snows cut bridge. A park called River rd State Park. You can rent a yak and be at an island in under 10 minutes. called, well, Shark tooth island. Go at low and you will find dozens of small ones and so often you will come across some nice ones.

goldeneyes
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also find them on kure bch or drive up to Surfcity, plenty up there.  
Parker
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewSalt, we camp a lot at Huntington Beach St Park in Murrell's Inlet, SC. It's right on the beach. We love the place. I have never fished there. Most of the sights are 32/38 $ a night. Check it out on the SC parks website. Lots of shells. My little girl found a starfish one trip.

PagesCreek
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp Lejeune is a great place to camp and fish. They even had an ocean pier at one time, I think it is still there. The also have a great marina (Courthouse Bay) on New River NE of Sneads Ferry.

MAJ (Ret.) USA MSC
\"Wooglin\"
Cape Fear Anglers

BeeReel
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack this thread but about sharks tooth island. Theory is it holds sharks teeth because of the dredging to create the Cape Fear River. If so, then what makes it any different than the rest of the spoil islands?

My 6-yo daughter and I just got the book "The Anti-Pirate Potato Canon and 101 other things for the young mariner to build, try and do on the water" - the viewing bucket was project #1. Now she is ready for #2 - finding a sharks tooth. On another adventure!

mudder
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark Tooth Island holds plenty, like said before, go at low and if you are lucky there will be plenty of ships coming by pulling it out even lower. Work it real fast and you should find some real nice ones. Even better head out there on a lunar low and a hard northwest. My wife was amazed her first trip out there.

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a safe kayak trip for VERY novice kayakers???

mudder
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsaltfishing1 wrote:
Is it a safe kayak trip for VERY novice kayakers???
Very much so, roughly 600-800 yds, not across the main river channel, you will be fine unless it blows 50

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....I've already starting rallying the camping gear in the garage.....gonna play hooky from work on Friday and drag the teenagers kicking and screaming for some outdoor time.....if the weather is going to be nice anyways. The boy is already complaining.....good grief.

As a side note....I called today to make reservations...but they don't accept them for tent sites. It is first come/first serve.....but the lady on the phone assured me that they ALWAYS have tent sites available. I will NOT be happy if I pack all that crap up and make the drive and NOT have a site!

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just looking over their website.....no beer while camping??? But they have a bar and grill on site......WTF???

ScottK
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIDE IT NEWSALT! I third the Fort Fisher area....good luck!

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody used the boat ramp? How "user friendly" is it/water for a 21' boat?

biggie
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about 2 feet at low tide last time I went there.

MidnightWind
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsaltfishing1 wrote:

If you are talking about the FF ramp, it is fine for a 21, except at dead low water. The channel out to the bays are a different story!!!! Channel out to the rock wall is narrrow and a few turns in it. The cribbins east of Zekes Island will sneak up on you and get a prop or lower unit in a minute if you don't know where it is. Easy to get on sandbars. I would at least talk to someone that knows it well before running through there. I'd take it slow the first couple of times also.

Good Luck

PagesCreek
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightWind wrote:
Newsaltfishing1 wrote:

If you are talking about the FF ramp, it is fine for a 21, except at dead low water. The channel out to the bays are a different story!!!! Channel out to the rock wall is narrrow and a few turns in it. The cribbins east of Zekes Island will sneak up on you and get a prop or lower unit in a minute if you don't know where it is. Easy to get on sandbars. I would at least talk to someone that knows it well before running through there. I'd take it slow the first couple of times also.

Good Luck

Midnight,
I think he is talking about the ramp on FF Air Force Recreation Area not the one at the Basin.
\"Wooglin\"
Cape Fear Anglers

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was talking about the ramp on river rd at the county park. If so, you can walk across at dead low. Also is a good place to target practice or any of those islands for that matter. Just be careful and have fun.  
blueoceaneyez
I-Mapper
I-Mapper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort Fisher Basin & the ramp at the Rec Area r for shallow drafts for sure. The one at the Rec site reminds me more of launching jon boats & kayaks (i havent really even seen ppl using it much). It's shallow in there too.

If u go to FF Basin to launch, watch the tides and read the water to find the channels.

I think u're gonna have fun!

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.....was planning on using the one in the air force campground. I'm thinking I'm gonna leave the boat at home this time and check it out. Maybe rent a kayak and check out the area....of course while staying off he beaten path!

stevehes
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone point to sharks tooth island on a map? Having trouble visualizing where it s based on descriptions

Contender 23
250 HPDI

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....we went....against my better judgement (especially after the heat on the jobsite last week).....but the wife wanted to go.....so we went.

I did enjoy the campground, and the tent sites are nearly all shaded, with a nice breeze coming in off the river. But there wasn't enough breeze in the world to make it tolerable to sleep in a tent on Friday night!! No electricity to run a fan....nothing but HOT! Now I'm a pretty sensible feller, and I know and expect it to be hot on NC during the summer....but when it comes nite-nite time, I wanna be cool for sleeping. The wife was worse off than me, and the 16 year old boy bitched more than anyone I have ever heard in my life. The 15 year old girl....was ecstatic!! (She's the neighbor kid that used to go camping with her Dad before he passed away in war).....I couldn't NOT take her with us.....and she had a "perma-grin" on the whole time...and managed to sleep all night somehow. She even slept through the visit from the racoons around midnight. If you go there to camp...be advised that they will try to open your tent, coolers, or anything else that they think might have a little food in it. We even watched 1 climb on a motorcycle and try to open the saddle bags. And they are NOT scared of people...trust me.

Funniest thing....about 2:00 in the morning....my wife says "do those little pop up camper things have air conditioning????" I said yes....she said "can we buy one tomorrow".

So we packed up after breakfast and headed home.....a little wiser, and with a wife than is finally convinced that tent camping in the peak of summer is not an easy thing to do. Also, they told me that the tent sites don't have power, so I left the fans and extention cords at home....they do indeed have 3 site outlets available for an additional 3 dollars a day.

lwr37
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsaltfishing1 wrote:
Well....we went....against my better judgement (especially after the heat on the jobsite last week).....but the wife wanted to go.....so we went.

I did enjoy the campground, and the tent sites are nearly all shaded, with a nice breeze coming in off the river. But there wasn't enough breeze in the world to make it tolerable to sleep in a tent on Friday night!! No electricity to run a fan....nothing but HOT! Now I'm a pretty sensible feller, and I know and expect it to be hot on NC during the summer....but when it comes nite-nite time, I wanna be cool for sleeping. The wife was worse off than me, and the 16 year old boy bitched more than anyone I have ever heard in my life. The 15 year old girl....was ecstatic!! (She's the neighbor kid that used to go camping with her Dad before he passed away in war).....I couldn't NOT take her with us.....and she had a "perma-grin" on the whole time...and managed to sleep all night somehow. She even slept through the visit from the racoons around midnight. If you go there to camp...be advised that they will try to open your tent, coolers, or anything else that they think might have a little food in it. We even watched 1 climb on a motorcycle and try to open the saddle bags. And they are NOT scared of people...trust me.

Funniest thing....about 2:00 in the morning....my wife says "do those little pop up camper things have air conditioning????" I said yes....she said "can we buy one tomorrow".

So we packed up after breakfast and headed home.....a little wiser, and with a wife than is finally convinced that tent camping in the peak of summer is not an easy thing to do. Also, they told me that the tent sites don't have power, so I left the fans and extention cords at home....they do indeed have 3 site outlets available for an additional 3 dollars a day.

Sounds like your a little wiser now!

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I already knew it would be bad....and tried to talk the wife out of it....but she was sure she wanted to go. I think it'll be a couple of months before we go back.

speckhunter80
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a pop-up. Wife and I bought a 2004 Coleman Bayside two months ago and love it.

A couple of sites I found after buying ours is Pop-Up Portal and Pop-Up Explorer. Some good info.

Newsaltfishing1
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She was ready to write the check on Friday night!!!

I've been looking at some online....seems that dang near every one you look at on CL has the statement "Only reason we're selling is to buy something bigger"......seems like a travel trailer to start with might be the way to go

lwr37
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsaltfishing1 wrote:
She was ready to write the check on Friday night!!!

I've been looking at some online....seems that dang near every one you look at on CL has the statement "Only reason we're selling is to buy something bigger"......seems like a travel trailer to start with might be the way to go

Same statement when I was looking for a boat! On a side note I have a travel trailer and have it set up at Carolina Beach Family Campground and love it. I work on the road but my Mom goes down when she feels like it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2

Jump to: