September 30, 2014 10:50 pm EDT
Wind Direction: NNE (30°)
Wind Speed: 12 knots
Wind Gust: 14 knots
Significant Wave Height: 3 ft
Dominant Wave Period: 5 sec
Average Period: 4.3 sec
Mean Wave Direction: ENE (65°)
Atmospheric Pressure: 29.85 in (1010.9 mb)
Pressure Tendency: +0.02 in (+0.8 mb)
Air Temperature: 75°F (23.8°C)
Dew Point: 66°F (19.0°C)
Water Temperature: 80°F (26.5°C)

Offshore Fishing Tackle
Web Hosting with Local Support
Stormwater BMP Services
Custom Aluminium Marine Products

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPOTTED SEATROUT
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt_Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: SPOTTED SEATROUT Reply with quote

SPOTTED SEATROUT

Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective 12:01 P.M. Wednesday, February 5, 2014, the following will apply to spotted seatrout:

I. HARVEST RESTRICTIONS

It is unlawful to possess, transport, buy, sell or offer for sale spotted seatrout in coastal and joint fishing waters of North Carolina except dealers will have until Wednesday, February 12, 2014 to dispose of unfrozen spotted seatrout in their possession taken prior to the closure.

II. GENERAL INFORMATION

A. This proclamation is issued under the authority of N.C.G. S. 113-170.4; 113-170.5; 113-182; 113-221.1; 143B-289.52 and N.C. Fisheries Rules 15A NCAC 03H .0103, and 03M .0512.

B. It is unlawful to violate the provisions of any proclamation issued by the Fisheries Director under his delegated authority pursuant to N.C. Marine Fisheries Rule 15A NCAC 03H .0103.

C. This action was taken to control fishing effort following a severe cold stun event under the approved management strategy in the Spotted Seatrout Fishery Management Plan.

D. It is the intent of the Fisheries Director to open the spotted seatrout season for commercial and recreational fishing by proclamation on June 15, 2014 after surviving fish have had the opportunity to spawn.

E. This proclamation supersedes Proclamation FF-7-2013 dated February 8, 2013 and FF-20-2012, dated March 26, 2012.
800-775-7450

Life is SHORT....Fish Hard!

BoutTime2fish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until June 15, 2014 you got to be kidding ... ?? This sucks big time.

Oh well trying to stay positive about it - we can still fish just have to practice catch and release. ??

I know from my bass fishing days sometimes that takes a little more skill than hook and haul them in the boat in a hurry.
You have to play the fish and take a little longer some times to ensure you release him alive.

Trying very hard to stay positive about it, but I don't think' it's working.. LOL

ChrisMcCaffity
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this closure will encourage fishermen to have a serious discussion about how we want to see Speckled Trout managed.  
kingkiller51
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
Maybe this closure will encourage fishermen to have a serious discussion about how we want to see Speckled Trout managed.

You're right Chris,and the first step towards establishing that discussion is to obtain gamefish status for Red Drum and Spotted Sea Trout...... Once we get there,we will have a foothold and we can begin to work on other things......

DAVID146
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were the kills  
DAVID146
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were the kills  
BoutTime2fish
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two in Emerald Isle/Swansboro area that I have been told about were in Pettiford creek and Had Not creek. From the picture I saw ( on facebook) looked pretty bad.

ChrisMcCaffity
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkiller51, Speckled Trout and Red Drum have healthy stocks even though consumers still enjoy the freedom to eat these delicious fish. Cold-stun events have always had far more impact on Speckled Trout stocks than fishing pressure. Why do you think violating the Fisheries Reform Act and taking away most citizens freedom to access our public resources for the perceived benefit of a few sportsmen is the right thing to do? That is unsportsman like conduct that most open-minded recreational anglers realize is wrong.  
eric13
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a couple small kills in shallotte river. I saw a few dozen fish floating on two separate mornings. No big numbers, but def cold kills. No marks on them at all, just floating. I know big numbers being caught in northern part of state from what I've heard from my buyer. Price bottomed out this week because of flooded market. Probably scoopers....
or on the trigger of your gun
the Clash 1979

CoastalCarolina
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisMcCaffity wrote:
kingkiller51, Speckled Trout and Red Drum have healthy stocks even though consumers still enjoy the freedom to eat these delicious fish. Cold-stun events have always had far more impact on Speckled Trout stocks than fishing pressure. Why do you think violating the Fisheries Reform Act and taking away most citizens freedom to access our public resources for the perceived benefit of a few sportsmen is the right thing to do? That is unsportsman like conduct that most open-minded recreational anglers realize is wrong.

Come on with the BS already Chris. I'm not against the comms but to use "allowing all consumers to enjoy" is not a sane defense. Although FL stopped nets I still go there to fish and enjoy... You have been listening to Buddy too much and still have not said whose pocket you are in.

roach
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 15th is crazy. Why not March or April 15th?

drumchaser73
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, you know me and you caught them all.

But seriously, it makes no sense. Likely never will the way this is going.

captaingorges
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quick list:

Rivers
Pamlico, Alligator, Pungo, Scuppernong, Trent, Neuse, Cape Fear

Bays
Chocowinity
Blounts
Chadwick

Creeks
Slades, Bath, Cahooque, Hancock, Spooners

Areas
Englehard
Belhaven

speckhunter80
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roach wrote:

Because they begin spawning on the full moon in April with May being the peak and continuing into August. By opening it in June hopefully those that have survived will have spawned three times before being harvested.

roach
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speckhunter80 wrote:
roach wrote:

Because they begin spawning on the full moon in April with May being the peak and continuing into August. By opening it in June hopefully those that have survived will have spawned three times before being harvested.

That is great information and actually makes sense. I can go along with that if what you are saying is true.

Thanks

speckhunter80
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not, I lied.

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With fish dying from Cold water stuns over the years,
How did they ever survive, before the enviro's had control
of our fisheries?

Closures & Hype from natural occurring events can be avoided by
having the proper data on the stock status. I don't think we have it!

I for one would like to see solid scientific data presented to the public before this type of discussion is made.

Over 2 million spots died in 2011 from cold stun on the Chesapeake Bay.
Over 15 million in early 1976
another Cold stun kill in 1980 also was recorded.
Somehow they survived.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2651739/posts?page=67

cantgitright
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said rough! I have always wondered that too?  
CoastalCarolina
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoughandReady wrote:
With fish dying from Cold water stuns over the years,
How did they ever survive, before the enviro's had control
of our fisheries?

Closures & Hype from natural occurring events can be avoided by
having the proper data on the stock status. I don't think we have it!

I for one would like to see solid scientific data presented to the public before this type of discussion is made.

Over 2 million spots died in 2011 from cold stun on the Chesapeake Bay.
Over 15 million in early 1976
another Cold stun kill in 1980 also was recorded.
Somehow they survived.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2651739/posts?page=67

NC has zero "solid scientific data" and the powers that be lack common sense too. I have no problem with the closure but agree, real data and common sense should prevail when making decisions. Maybe next year there will be an overabundance ~ a miracle~ like with BSB.

dontcatch
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no valid problem with this closure beyond my own love to catch a trout hook and line, but trout are not the only loves in my fishing world.

Now I ask the question.....will commercials still have a bycatch? Do not see it in this proclamation and I may have missed it?....I kinda like the words No, Nadda, Noway all around and for all.

But others may be different in their opinions.

RoughandReady
MOD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Anyone could offer to find the full data that NCDMF used to close this fishery,
I would love to see it. I'll also see what I can find and will post it. So far I have found no real data, Just a few Pictures and area's that were affected.
Looks like some area's took a pretty hard hit.

kingkiller51
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisMcCaffity wrote:

I guess I just don't know what to say in response to your "Head in the Sand" approach to this issue Chris. Of course,you're right on one score.... Cold Stun Events have never been predictable,and will always have to be factored into any management strategy. I am fortunate enough to hunt and fish all over the country and I can tell you that fisheries managers in the South Atlantic and Gulf states are laughing at North Carolina! The wrong-headed approach that we have taken to address the excesses of the Commercial Fishing Industry simply dumbfounds people everywhere...... I just returned from a weekend trip to Charleston,SC where we enjoyed some really world class light tackle action on slot and over slot sized Redfish. In a half day we found several schools that each had over a thousand fish. I did'nt keep any fish on this trip,but they are so confident in their management plan that they allow sport anglers to keep 3 fish/day and this puts no strain on the fishery whatsoever. The key,of course,was getting rid of the gill nets and with a little commitment and dedication,in no time at all we could enjoy the great fishing here in NC!

kingkiller51
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roach wrote:

Managers want to give surviving brood stock a chance to spawn Roach...It's one of the few smart things they've done.

eric13
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 years ago when fish stocks were healthy (according to you old timers) and when all state's allowed fishermen to catch fish in the manner they saw fit, florida was still the place to go for people the world over if they wanted to catch more fish. Now all of a sudden, it's a net's fault that we cant be more like them. Why dont you guys join sea shepard and help fat boy Watson chase people who dont fish the way you like and put em out of business. I see a similar mind set.
or on the trigger of your gun
the Clash 1979

CoastalCarolina
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric ~ I'm not anti~comm and I have not fished the Keys in a few years but FL still has a comm fleet. In SW FL landings have dropped 40+% since 1985. Much of that due to development of waterfront- homes took over docks, marinas, and processing plants. I was in LA last year, both NO and Venice and their comm fleet looked healthy. I tried a search to find if either place had a pissing match going between recs and comms without success. The reg changes in all southern states may be due to the 2nd Y an kee (why is that a bad word) invasion. BTW ~~ I'm surprised Sea Shepherd has not been boarded by pirates and scuttled by now~~~ only liberal huggers can see anything positive in their antics.  
ChrisMcCaffity
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkiller51, we have great fishing right here in NC even as seafood consumers gain access to our public resource through commercial fishermen. My primary issue with gamefish status is that it denies consumers which are the largest user group of these public resources their freedom access to them. Commercial landings of the proposed gamefish in NC are much lower than recreational landings. Discards in the commercial sector are also far fewer. I support the recreational fishermen's freedom to keep more of what you catch to reduce your regulatory discards and hope anglers will start using a little more restraint when it comes to voluntary discards. Speckled Trout stocks have always rebounded after cold-stun events regardless of fishing pressure or size limits. When the fish are there, all user groups benefit and should be allowed to continue doing so.

Coastal Carolina, what do you think is so wrong with allowing seafood consuming citizens to keep their God-given freedom to eat the fish He gave us as a renewable food source? I am not in anyone's pocket, but rather in God's hands.

FishFactory
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kingkiller51"]
ChrisMcCaffity wrote:

[b]You're right Chris,and the first step towards establishing that discussion is to obtain gamefish status for Red Drum and Spotted Sea Trout...... Once we get there,we will have a foothold and we can begin to work on other things......[/
quote][/b]

wtg

FishFactory
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris McCaffity...
Coastal Carolina, what do you think is so wrong with allowing seafood consuming citizens to keep their God-given freedom to eat the fish He gave us as a renewable food source? I am not in anyone's pocket, but rather in God's hands.

Could you quote the Book and Verses of the Bible
from which you have determined support your position...
that is a commercial fishermen ?

Be careful here.....as I remember, Jesus gave fish away.

kingkiller51
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm starting to understand your angle Chris,but I guess what continues to vex me is.... how have you arrived at this state of "Anti Logic"?  
FishFactory
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b][b]
kingkiller51 wrote:
I think I'm starting to understand your angle Chris,but I guess what continues to vex me is.... how have you arrived at this state of "Anti Logic"?

Easy enough to find, I highlighted it for you.

SUBCHAPTER 03L - SHRIMP, CRABS, AND LOBSTER
SECTION .0100 - SHRIMP
15A NCAC 03L .0101 SEASON It is unlawful to take shrimp with nets until the Fisheries Director, by proclamation, opens the season in various waters. Proclamations may specify any hours of day or night or both and any other conditions appropriate to management of the fishery. If sampling indicates primarily undersized shrimp or juveniles of any other species of major economic importance, the Fisheries Director may close such waters to shrimping and prohibit the use of nets for any purpose except cast nets as provided in 15A NCAC 3L .0102. Prominent landmarks or other permanent-type markers shall be considered when establishing closure lines even if such lines extend beyond the area of concern.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113-134; 113-182; 113-221; 143B-289.52; Eff. January 1, 1991.
[b]15A-1. NC SHRIMPTRAWL CAPTAIN REQUIREMENT It is prohibited for
any shrimp trawl captain or anyone employed by or on vessel to be engaged in such activity without first taking a NCDNR approved "anti-logic" pill.

15A NCAC 03L .0102 WEEKEND SHRIMPING PROHIBITED It is unlawful to take shrimp by any method from 9:00 P.M. on Friday through 5:00 P.M. on Sunday, except: (1) in the Atlantic Ocean; or (2) with the use of fixed and channel nets, hand seines, shrimp pots and cast nets.
History Note: Authority G.S. 113-134; 113-182; 113-221; 143B-289.52; Eff. January 1, 1991; Amended Eff. August 1, 2004; March 1, 1994.
15A NCAC 03L .0103 PROHIBITED NETS, MESH SIZES AND AREAS (a) It is unlawful to take shrimp with nets with mesh lengths less than the following: (1) Trawl net - one and one-half inches; (2) Fixed nets, channel nets, float nets, butterfly nets, and hand seines - one and one-fourth inches; and (3) Cast net - no restriction. (b) It is unlawful to take shrimp with a net constructed in such a manner as to contain an inner or outer liner of any mesh size. Net material used as chafing gear shall be no less than four inches mesh length except that chafing gear with smaller mesh may be used only on the bottom one-half of the tailbag. Such chafing gear shall not be tied in a manner that forms an additional tailbag. (c) It is unlawful to take shrimp with trawls which have a combined headrope of greater than 90 feet in internal coastal waters except: (1) Pamlico Sound; (2) Pamlico River downstream of a line from a point 35 18.5882'N 76 28.9625'W at Pamlico Point; running northerly to a point 35 22.3741'N 76 28.6905'W at Willow Point; [/b][/b][/b] lmao

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FryingPanTower.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT - 4 Hours
 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Page 1 of 4

Jump to: